How Web3 Can Integrate With The Real Estate Market
Web3 technology, which includes blockchain and decentralized systems, has the potential to revolutionize the way we buy, sell, and manage real estate.
From increased transparency and security to greater efficiency and cost savings, the benefits of web3 in real estate are numerous.
In this blog post, we'll take a closer look at how web3 technology is already impacting the real estate market and what we can expect to see in the future.
One of the most significant ways that web3 technology is impacting the real estate market is through the use of blockchain to record property transactions.
Blockchain, the technology behind cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, is a decentralized and tamper-proof system for recording transactions.
In the case of real estate, this means that property ownership and sales can be recorded on the blockchain, providing a transparent and unchangeable record of who owns what.
This can help prevent fraud and errors, and make the process of buying and selling property more efficient.
Another area where web3 technology is making a big impact in real estate is in the field of smart contracts.
Smart contracts are self-executing contracts with the terms of the agreement written into code. These contracts can automatically transfer ownership of property, release funds, or perform other actions based on pre-defined conditions.
This can streamline the process of buying and selling property, making it faster and more efficient.
Smart contracts can help automate the process of property management, such as rent payments and maintenance requests.
Some of the examples include:
- Ubitquity - This platform uses blockchain technology and smart contracts to create a secure and transparent record of property ownership and sales. This can help prevent fraud and errors, and make the process of buying and selling property more efficient.
- ShelterZoom - This platform uses blockchain and smart contracts to streamline the process of buying and selling property, allowing for faster and more secure transactions.
Tokenisation & Fractionalised Ownership
Web3 technology is also making it possible for more people to invest in real estate, even if they don't have the capital to buy a property outright.
With the growth of the industry, we are seeing platforms be developed and deployed which allow individuals to invest in real estate through tokenized assets, which are digital representations of real-world assets.
These tokens can be bought and sold on the open market, providing a new way for people to invest in real estate.
Some examples include:
- RealT - This platform allows users to tokenize their property and make it available for fractional ownership, allowing multiple individuals to invest in a single property.
- Propy - This platform uses smart contracts to automate the process of buying and selling property, and also allows for the tokenization of properties.
- SliceSpace - This is a platform which is launching soon that will tokenise commercial real estate. People will be able to purchase a stake in the tokenised properties and receive daily payouts based on what they own.
- B4Real - Our contribution to the table will be the tokenisation of over $500M worth of residential real estate in Australia which will allow token holders to generate income from full portfolios rental yields and gains from the appreciation of the underlying real-world assets.
As the technology continues to evolve, we can expect to see even more platforms emerging in the future.
Tokenisation can also allow for fractional ownership of properties, allowing multiple individuals to invest in a single property in order to receive returns from the underlying asset that has been tokenised.
VR & AR
Another exciting potential use of technology in real estate is in the field of virtual and augmented reality.
With the use of virtual and augmented reality, it will be possible for potential buyers to "visit" properties remotely and get a sense of what it would be like to live there.
This can save both time and money for buyers, as they won't need to travel to view properties in person.
Some examples include:
- Matterport - This company provides 3D imaging technology that allows users to create virtual tours of properties.
- Roof Ai - This platform uses augmented reality to allow users to see what a property would look like with different roofing materials.
- Virtual Staging Solutions - This company uses virtual staging to create virtual furniture and decor in empty properties, allowing sellers to showcase their properties in the best possible light.
Virtual and augmented reality can also be used to create virtual staging, allowing sellers to showcase their properties in the best possible light with various metrics tracked onchain.
Along with the powerful benefits of tokenisation, such as democratisation of real estate ownership and investing, comes the extra layer of income generation via DeFi.
As you may already know, there are a number of ways to make money with DeFi, including lending, borrowing, trading, and staking.
For example, you can lend out your crypto assets to earn interest, trade on decentralized exchanges, or stake your assets to earn rewards on protocols like Compound or Aave.
What we find interesting is the possibilities that come from interacting with DeFi protocols with asset backed tokens - such as real estate backed security tokens.
Imagine that you have $10,000 worth of real estate-backed tokens that are generating you a yield from rent every 90 days.
Now imagine that you take those tokens and then use them as collateral on a DeFi loan and then use those funds to become a liquidity provider and earn income there too…
In this scenario what could happen here, if done right, is that you continue earning your rental yields whilst simultaneously generating returns from being an LP provider!
The future looks very exciting.
The real estate market is on the cusp of a major shift thanks to web3 technology.
From increased transparency and security through blockchain to greater efficiency and cost savings through smart contracts, the benefits of web3 in real estate are numerous.
Also, web3 technology is also making it possible for more people to invest in real estate, even if they don't have the capital to buy a property outright.
We hope you enjoyed this article and make sure you’re following us across all socials!
We will see you in the next blog.